I have always been a big believer in self-love, not the Oprah ‘love and respect yourself’ self-love, but the type that involves fingers, toys and bloody big smile on your face at the end. I am of course talking about masturbation.
I was 14 when I first began to go exploring inside my knickers. I remember I was watching the movie Election starring Reese Witherspoon and Matthew Broderick. To my innocent 14 year old mind this film was pretty full on! My hands slowly made their way into my pants and I started to feel around and rub myself. My fingers eventually found their way inside of me.
Now I had been playing with my breasts for several years by this point and I did enjoy that, but this was something else altogether! I did not achieve orgasm at this point in time, I didn’t really know what that meant either. It was probably another 12 months before I did manage this, and I’d thought I was having fun before!
I can remember writing a piece in my diary at the time, unfortunately I can’t seem to find the page now. I know that it went something along the lines of ‘Oh My God! I can’t believe I did that! I put my fingers inside me! Is that normal?’.
Now I am someone who learnt about sex from the dictionary. My advanced reading level meant that I occasionally had to look up words. One of those words just happened to be ‘intercourse’. Believe me, the definition completely grossed out my 11 year old mind. I don’t believe at the point of my self-exploration I had come across the word ‘masturbation’. I had no idea if what I was doing was even normal. I only knew that it felt really, really good.
I will now claim to be absolutely fantastic at getting myself off. Five minutes or less if I'm turned on, ten minutes if I’m not and am just looking for something to do. Mr Good-Company and I recently broke in a new toy of mine (also my first toy, hopefully in time there will be more). This toy is a rather large purple dong. As Mr Good-Company pointed out, it was probably a little bit ambitious for a virgin. But what can I say? Perhaps I am rather ambitious. It was certainly an enjoyable experience and since its trial run I have put it to good use most days. Next on my shopping list: a vibrator!
Now here are some random facts about masturbation:
- Masturbation has greater acceptance amongst those with a higher level of tertiary education.
- Over 50% of women masturbate to their imagination, whilst a further 21% use porn.
- Women who masturbate have fewer sexual problems than those who don’t.
- The majority of women will masturbate once a week, often not starting until their late teens. Men on the other hand, masturbate at least twice as often and usually begin around the age of 12-13.
- Women can masturbate themselves to orgasm 95% of the time.
- A sad, 25% of women don’t masturbate at all.
- 10% of women have masturbated at work.
- If you are a woman who has never masturbated it is quite likely you have never achieved orgasm.
- Masturbation is good for you! It releases tension, leaving you nice and relaxed, is better than counting sheep and it feels bloody fantastic!
Sources: http://www.cosmopolitan.com/advice/tips/great-female-survey/statistics-about-women 24/02/11